To keep in mind as we practice:
- In yoga class or on your own, only do the postures or exercises that are comfortable.
- There should be no pain in the joints or body during the practice.
- Modify postures or rest as needed.
- If you have a pre existing injury that is aggravated by a certain movement or exercise please notify the yoga instructor right away.
- Check with your doctor for any concerns from prior conditions or injuries if you are not sure what you can and can not do.
- Yoga is not competitive. Go at your own pace.
- We are all unique- do what is comfortable for your body in each practice.
- “No pain, no pain.” We do yoga to ease pain in the body, not to create more. Be gentle even if you want a challenge.
- Ask the instructor for modifications if pregnant, injured, ill or needing a different way to do a pose than is suggested.
- Enjoy the practice! This is not about right or wrong, winning or losing but to feel better in the body and gain more peace in the mind.
By, Stacie Dooreck of Elephant Journal